Saturday, June 25, 2011

Day 29 and 30 Sea

Yet again I have failed to blog every day, sorry about that but after a
month on the ship a routine has set in on the sea days and it isn't
anywhere near as exciting as a port day. At least with port days I can
have a photo or two to add of Katie and I at some famous landmark. For
instance that will be Petra tomorrow followed in a few days by Pyramids
and then us floating in the Dead Sea. So there will be some exciting
things kiddies for you all in the next week to look forward to!!
This afternoon the Captain made his usual announcements and in this one
he mentioned that there will be 1400 passengers going to
Petra......that will be a lot of buses. Luckily for us because Katie is
vegetarian we had a letter delivered today with our bus number already
designated and our stickers supplied. We are on bus number 8, much
better than bus number 50........hopefully it happens again at The
Pyramids :) This is the first time it has, any other excursions where
we have been fed, there have just been vego options available.
So far all trip I have only eaten fish a couple of times ( and a prawn
or two) and meat once but no chicken, pork, lamb etc. The Horizon Court
Buffet and the MDR are both very good with vegetarian options, it will
be interesting to see what I have to eat tomorrow, as I didn't specify
me as a vego. I had been vego for about 18 months prior to the trip, it
was just easier with Katie and my sister both being vegos. But a month
or two before the trip I decided to eat meat as I thought it might
restrict me while travelling (I hadn't be at it as long as Katie and Di
so wasn't so ethically bound mentally). Believe me I or Katie haven't
been restricted at all in the food we have eaten so far on the trip, all
delicious and a lot!
I will photograph a couple of the MDR menus so you can all drool at what
we get to eat each night. The menus are posted outside both dining rooms
the night before and also outside the Horizon Court so you can see where
you'd like to eat. Of course there is also the Pizzeria or room service
(choices we have utilised). Lunch also has the option of the Riviera
Grill overlooking the pool where pies, hotdogs, burgers, kebabs and
chips are served. We are known to get the odd kebab without the
meat.............yep basically a salad wrap!
Gee nearly a whole entry on food, it must be close to dinner
time............
But back to eating, 99% of the mornings we go up to the HC (Horizon
Court, I'm sick of typing it) and while you can have a huge choice of
hot and cold food, think eggs, bacon, mushrooms, toast of all sorts,
muffins, pasta, cold meat, cereals, fruit porridge and lots more, Katie
and I have got into a routine of the same thing every day with maybe a
change for one day a week. Katie has a bagel with cream cheese and the
guy who looks after the toast machine now knows to put in a bagel to
toast when she walks up. I usually have a bowl of their bircher type
muesli, very yummy with a large spoonful of granola on top and a banana
chopped onto it as well. (yes this is riveting stuff I know). They also
have a smoothie of the morning, with mango or raspberry being the best.
On our "change it up days" we might have eggs, and I just realised I
lied cause they have really good really crispy bacon (so I have eaten
pork). But I do ration myself to 2 small rashers and the rashers are
small.....mmmm might have that on Sunday :)
Writing all that did make me hungry so I just ate one of the yummy
chocolate covered dates stuffed with an almond. In fact so hungry that
we went to dinner and its now bed time. The pictures posted above are 3
of the desserts that were on offer tonight.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for that informative post. Some other cruises mention that the food is too salty (usually compared to another cruise on the same ship). Has anyone made those comparisons on your trip?
    Looking forward to hearing about Petra. Hope being on bus 8 doesn't mean you are on the vegetarians plus 80 year olds with limited mobility group. ;)
    Desserts look scrummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just checked out your current location and the view from the ship's webcam. The weather sounds lovely: 38 degrees, 17 percent humidity, light breeze, no clouds.... I expect to hear that it was a perfect day for sightseeing at Petra.

    ReplyDelete